Friday, June 5, 2009

Food locations from "down south" roadtrip

I have compiled a list of favorite meals from recent trip down south. I think it speaks volume's the two most authentic non-fancy places (Ike's and Jestine's Kitchen) do not have websites.

Ike's Korner Grill
Spartanburg, South Carolina

I had a cheeseburger plate with fresh cut fries and a side of cole slaw, all washed down with a cup of sweet tea (sweetened ice tea for the non tea drinkers). Great start to the road trip with a semi-greasy lunch.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------


From Peerless


Johnson City,Tennessee
Katie and I shared the fillet mignon for two with asparagus and potatoes on the side.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nashville, TN
Great BBQ I was quite impressed. I had the 3 combo plate including Tennessee Pork Shoulder, Texas Beef Brisket, and Smoked Chicken! Don't forget the great sides Mac & Cheese and Baked Beans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


















Savannah, GA
Served the best refined meal of the trip. Garibaldi's is known for various seafood dishes. Katie and I started our dinner in Savannah with a mixed green salad combining granny smith apples, reduced vinaigrette, pecans, blue cheese crumbles, and topped with fabulous scallops.
For an entree I had the red snapper with risotto. Katie had her favorite linguini with clams.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------


From Jestine's Kitchen

Jestine's Kitchen
Charleston, SC

Katie and I spent only a couple of hours of Charleston and I'm glad we waited in line to eat Jestine's Kitchen. Our meal began with an appetizer of fried green tomato's which I finished in about two minutes.
Katie had an interesting lunch combination consisting of a plate of fried chicken with a side of mac & cheese and watermelon. The waitress was a bit confused by the contrasting sides but Katie wanted her watermelon. I ordered the Cajun Creole.
I have to mention the lovely waitstaff again. As I was eating some of Katie's chicken in a nice southern accent a waitress told me "stop messing with that silverware and eat that chicken with your hands"

The highlight for me was dessert. I ordered a pecan pie that was the best I ever had. The pecans were minced and the crust delicious. Katie ordered a coconut cream pie. After that meal we left completely full and satisfied.



From Jestine's Kitchen

No comments: